Bananas are a delicious, pleasing fruit. This is why it has a huge fan base. After you eat a banana, its peel will be generally thrown in the trash. It is understandable that you have to deal with the amount of waste you produce. Admittedly, this is a nutrient-rich tropical fruit. However, can you believe that its peels are as useful as the flesh? Here are the top 10 reasons why you should never trash a banana peel.
1. Eating a banana with brown spots has a number of health benefits. In addition, its peel is rich in fiber, about 3 to 4 times higher than the flesh. It is great for your skin and helps remove age spots if you keep rubbing your face with it.
2. It helps clean leather shoes, bags, purse, clothing, sofas, and so on. What you need to do is just to rub and buff it with a white cloth. By doing so, it polishes your leather items and extends their lifespan.
3. If you try to ripen fruit quickly, it can be a good ripener. Once you put it near the green fruits like mango and kiwi, they will become ripe sooner than you expect.
4. If you want your orchid to grow healthy and strong and bloom again, this fruit peel may be the help since it is rich in magnesium, sulfur, phosphorus, zinc, amino acids, etc. These nutrients are what orchids badly need since orchids expend a great deal of energy to flower.
5. It helps you get smooth and soft skin. If you suffer from dry skin, you can apply the inside of a left over banana peel on your face, make it sit for about 10 minutes, and rinse with water. Over time you will have smoother face.
6. It can help get rid of warts, including plantar’s warts. The method is simple: cover the warts with the inner surface of the peel to soften it. If you repeat this treatment on daily basis, the warts will shrink gradually and completely fall off from the body in the end. And the good news is that it won’t come back after the cure.
7. It is antifungal and antibiotic. Experiments show that the banana peel treatment works well in fungi or bacteria causing diseases like skin itching and athlete’s foot (tinea pedis). Specifically, prepare fresh ones and repeatedly rub it around the affected area. Or you can mash it or boil it with water before the use. In general, you can see the results after a few days of such treatment.
8. It is edible too. When it is combined with Chinese Knotweed, an herbaceous perennial vine that can grow up to 2-4 m tall from a woody tuber, to make tea, it can treat oral inflammation, ulcers, constipation, and so on.
9. Eating roasted banana with peel can improve hemorrhoids and blood in the stool. This is a traditional recipe from the east.
10. Its decoction can treat high blood pressure. The method is to prepare 30 grams to 60 grams of peels and boil them with water. In addition, drinking this tea daily can also dilate blood vessels and cut the risk of stroke and angina by half.
Thanks to its amazing antifungal, antibiotic and enzymatic properties, banana peel can be put to good use in many ways. So, it doesn’t have to be trash if you want to make the most out of this popular fruit.