Is Kung Pao Chicken healthy? This is a question frequently asked by Kung Pao Chicken lovers who also concern about healthful eating. Since this spicy stir-fry Sichuan dish is mainly made with chicken breasts or thighs, dry-roasted peanuts, egg whites, smacked cucumbers, chili peppers, olive oil, and so on, we would like to analyze its health facts from the point of view of its ingredients. Of course, the ingredients may be a little bit different in different versions.
Chicken breast meat is tender, tasty, and nutritious. Thanks to the high proportion of protein content and high digestion, chicken is easily absorbed by the body, which helps boost stamina and energy. In addition, chicken also contains phospholipids, an important ingredient for human growth and development. In fact, in some countries chicken has become one of the most important sources of dietary fat and phospholipids.
More than that, in China chicken is often considered a healing diet for malnutrition, intolerance to cold, fatigue, irregular menstruation, anemia, weakness, etc. From the perspective of traditional Chinese medicine, it is believed to have the properties of warming middle energizer, benefiting vital energy, reinforcing deficiency, replenishing essence, tonifying the spleen and stomach, invigorating the circulation of blood, and strengthening the bones and muscles.
Because peanuts are a good tonic that has anti-aging properties, enhances memory, and improves blood circulation, it is also called “longevity nut”. Along with soybeans, they are also known as “meat plant” or “meat in the vegetables”. This is simply because they have a higher nutritional value than grains. In fact, peanuts can be even comparable with eggs, meat, and some other animal foods in terms of nutrition.
Specifically, the peanuts can do more on your health.
1. Peanuts contain vitamin E and a certain amount of zinc, which can enhance memory, resist aging, slow the decline of brain function, and moisten skin;
2. Peanut’s unsaturated fatty acids can lower cholesterol, which helps combat atherosclerosis, hypertension and coronary heart disease;
3. Peanuts contain a biologically active substance called resveratrol, which can prevent cancer diseases, reduce platelet aggregation, prevent and treat atherosclerosis, and act as the chemopreventive agents of cardiovascular disease;
4. After the soluble fiber in peanut fibrous tissue has been digested and absorbed, it works like a sponge to absorb liquids and other substances. After it expands into a tape, it will be dispelled with feces. By doing so, the accumulation of harmful substances in the body and the produced toxic will be greatly reduced, which is good for the prevention of intestinal cancer.
Egg white contains a lot of protein, 8 kinds of essential amino acids, and small amounts of acetic acid. As a result, it benefits human body in a few ways.
1. It helps you get the glowing, moist, and clear skin by protecting the skins’ slightly acidic from bacterial infections;
2. TCM believes that it is slightly cold and clear in nature. And it can nourish vitality, moisten the lungs, relieve sore throat, clear heat, detoxify, and help delay aging.
Olive oil is considered one of the most healthful cooking oils since it contains 65.8 to 84.9% monounsaturated fatty acids. In addition to supply the body with a lot of energy, it adjusts the proportion of low and high density lipoprotein cholesterol in human plasma. Besides, it contains about 3.5 to 22% of the unsaturated fatty acids, which are necessary for the body but the body fails to synthesize on its own. Olive oil’s trace elements, including squalene, flavonoids and polyphenols, are really helpful on enhancing the body’s immune system and anti-aging too.
The juicy cucumber contains certain vitamins. It is often considered a beauty vegetable or a cosmetic agent hidden in kitchen.
1. Regular consumption or applying cucumber on the face can effectively combat skin aging, reduce wrinkles, and prevent cheilitis and angular cheilitis;
2. This is a good weight-loss product;
3. Cucumbers contain chromium and other trace elements with hypoglycemic activity. For diabetic people, cucumber is also the best fruit and vegetable;
4. Bitter principles contained in cucumber are anti-cancer. Besides, it clears heat, relieves thirst, promotes diuresis, and reduces swelling.
Calories (2154.51 kcal), Vitamin B6 (0.15 mg), protein (171.40 g), fat (146.80 g), pantothenic acid (0.07 mg), carbohydrates (55.48 grams), folic acid (12.20 g), dietary fiber (18.60 g ), cholesterol (880.00 mg), vitamin A (384.50 g), carotene (3.00 mg), thiamine (0.68 mg), riboflavin (0.94 mg), niacin (45.73 mg) of vitamin C (0.70 mg ), vitamin E (28.96 mg), calcium (117.56 mg), phosphorus (1484.39 mg), potassium (2659.15 mg), sodium (5544.18 mg), magnesium (241.73 mg), iron (17.42 mg), zinc (12.84 mg), Se (97.65 g), copper (0.98 mg), and manganese (5.29 mg).
Kung Pao Chicken is a very nutritious and delicious home-cooked food and a lot of people love to order it when dining out. However, because some ingredients should be fried to add crisp and cracking texture, the calories will thus increase after the absorption of oil. If you are on your diet, it should be eaten in only very limited amounts.