Carcinogens can be found in everything from cigarette smoke to common foods. Luckily, there are many natural anti-cancer agents available at the same time. For example, bee propolis can be one of powerful weapons in the war against cancer. That’s to say, this resinous mixture collected by honey bees offers significant anti-cancer benefits. Now, let’s take a look at exactly what propolis is and how it prevents and treats this disease.
In fact, this is a type of natural resin that honey bees use to build hive. Because it has amazing natural antibacterial properties, it has long been used medicinally. Today, it is still one of known home remedies for cancer. And studies show that this ancient, natural therapy does help prevent and treat cancer by enhancing immune system.
In particular, the discovery of anti-cancer activity and active ingredients of propolis makes it become a promising part in the comprehensive treatment plan. It is worth mentioning that the research and application of propolis are very common in Japan, and there are a large number of books on this subject. According to Japanese clinical data, this mixture can prevent and treat cancers of liver, bladder, prostate, stomach, lung, breast, ovary, skin, thyroid, colon and rectum, mouth, throat, brain, kidney, lymphoma, bile duct, pancreatic, and so on.
The potential anticancer properties and mechanisms of action of propolis mainly reflect in 6 ways.
1. The activity of caffeic acid phenethyl ester. Scientists from the United States and Europe have found that caffeic acid phenethyl ester in propolis can effectively kill cancer cells without damaging normal cells.
2. The activity of diterpene compounds. During the study on energy metabolism of tumor cells, experts from Japan found that propolis extract could damage the cultured tumor cells. Later diterpene compounds, the active ingredient, have been identified. And they also found that these compounds arrest the growth of tumor tissues by mainly making the tumor cells stay in the Synthesis phase (S phase).
3. The activity of a variety of enzymes. The studies conducted by Japanese experts indicate that propolis contains a variety of enzymes that not only stop the new cancer metastasis, but also progressively eliminate the old tumors.
4. The immune enhancing properties. As a natural immune enhancer and stimulating agent, propolis can improve immunity, activate and enhance the resistance and vitality of the body’s macrophages, and increase the production of white blood cells and antibody. Besides of being a specific and non-specific immune activator and enhancer, it has significant synergies and potentiation when combined with cyclophosphamide, a medication mainly used in chemotherapy. As an added bonus, it is able to reduce the damaging suppressing effects of cyclophosphamide on the function of hematopoietic bone marrow.
5. The anticancer effects of certain flavonoids. Some flavonoids contained in propolis can affect basal metabolism of malignant cells, thus affecting the DNA synthesis and inhibiting the growth of them.
6. The antiviral effect. Soviet scientists believed that viruses can be the cause of malignant tumors. When the viruses invade the human body, they cause genetic mutation, leading to the malignant progression of cancer genes in cells. Thus, the general antibacterial, antiviral substances can be used for this purpose. Since propolis is a powerful broad-spectrum natural antibiotic, it has a certain anti-cancer activity.
In summary, bee propolis prevents and treats a variety of diseases, especially malignant tumors. A large number of clinical researches show that it not only serves as a good natural immune stimulator and enhancers to enhance the body’s resistance and immune function, but also contains a lot of enzymes, flavonoids, caffeic acid, and other undiscovered active ingredients that can directly inhibit or kill cancer cells and affect the DNA synthesis of them. In other words, its anticancer mechanism may be the combined result of mutual collaboration of a variety of active ingredients. Undoubtedly, it has limitless potential to be an anti-cancer drug in the future.