Besides of over-the-counter hemorrhoid medication, topical creams, and surgery, is there anything that can give quick relief to hemorrhoid pain? It is fair to say that a hemorrhoid pillow can be one of ideal options in this regard. This is because its design is based on one of the most common causes of this condition – prolonged sitting. Since nowadays sedentary lifestyle is inevitable to most people, the only way out is to minimize the health hazards caused by sedentary desk jobs. From this perspective, sitting on pillows is a good option to find quick relief.
Types of hemorrhoid cushions
Hemorrhoid cushion is specially designed to reduce pressure on the anal area. It may come in different shapes, sizes and materials, but these days the most popular two designs are a ring or donut cushion and more conventional pillow.
A doughnut cushion, constructed with inflatable or solid foam, is called so because it has a hole in the middle. This O-shaped is aiming to make sitting more comfortable for a hemorrhoid sufferer. Since there is no pressure directly acting on the inflamed or swollen area, maximum relief and support will be thereby offered to the patients, especially those who spend most of their days sitting.
Similarly, hemorrhoid pillow is constructed with inflatable or solid foam too. And it works the same way although it looks more conventional. Instead of the empty room in the center, the conventional pillow is more a soft pad than a donut shape. That’s to say, it provides the desired amount of cushioning and relieves the friction depending on the softness of the material itself rather than the suspension of the anal area.
So, which design is better? In theory, these two above-mentioned designs are basically the same thing. In other words, both of them can be just good. For some picky individuals, they may find some slightly difference. In this case, it is recommended to try out both before making the decision. However, this step is totally unnecessary for most people.
1. It provides easy operation. What the patients need to do is to sit on it and adjust to the sitting position that makes themselves feel most comfortable;
2. It is effective. Usually the relief will come very quickly since sitting on it can make the anal area feel less irritated in no time;
3. It does not cost very much. Currently many moderately priced brands are available. In addition, the highest price does not always justify the best hemorrhoid pillow;
4. It is easily carried or moved since the inflatable pillows can be deflated when necessary. This portability makes more sense to those who travel a lot are suffering from pain, bleeding, and discomfort caused by the flare-ups.
1. As mentioned above, the intention of design of hemorrhoid cushion is to give temporary relief instead of a cure. So in that sense, it should be considered part of an overall treatment program only. That’s to say, it should be combined with topical creams, diet changes, sitz bath, or even surgery;
2. Although it can help relieve the pain, sitting on them for long hours may backfire and make the symptoms worse. Apparently, in this case sedentariness at work can increase the pressure within the affected area due to the blood flow fails to arrive there;
3. It makes no sense to severe hemorrhoid pain and bleeding. If the patients have large or prolapsed piles, visiting a physician is highly recommended since the cushion can do very little about it.
Where to buy
They are available in Walgreens, Amazon, Target, Walmart, Rite Aid, CVS, and the like. Any of them won’t let you down. So, following the buying habits will be just fine.
Again, hemorrhoid pillow cannot be used as a major treatment although it is able to quickly relieve swelling and pain. So, it is best to make it as part of the treatment. In addition, a hemorrhoid patient should be advised to see a health professional on this respect.